Saturday, May 3, 2014

ACL surgery: Post-Op Day 1

Well if I am posting, the good news is I survived my surgery yesterday. I will admit that going into the surgery, I was nervous and frightened. Any surgery that requires anesthesia always runs the risk of complications, not to mention post-op challenges of possible tissue rejection or clotting and infection.


I have to say that nothing takes the place of quality patient care. While perhaps, I am premature in giving a review for the staff at the Health & Wellness center in Montrose, their professionalism and humor went a long way in reducing my fears. The pre-op nurse was all smiles and the anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself as "Dan" before informing me that I would be receiving the "top shelf" medicine. My orthopedic surgeon came in and marked my knee with a smiley face, and spent time with me to discuss the surgery and the femoral block I would be receiving. We also talked about our cats (his wife and him also rescue cats).

Once I was wheeled into the operating room, it was hard not feeling like I was either in the movie, Dead Man Walking, or being somewhat Christ-like as I was strapped to the table with my arms outstretched. As they prepared the arthroscope and my doctor played with cadaver tissue like kneading dough, they made conversation with me and laughed about my Anatomy students asking me to request the "pirate" option for surgery (a wood leg instead of ACL reconstruction). In fact, the surgery team decided to provide an alternative option to the wood leg as they began speaking in pirate accents, and informed me that I would be walking the plank. Of course this light banter, had an ulterior motive. As my anesthesiologist was talking about changing his Facebook page to "pirate" he injected the anesthesia into my IV. Thus, rather than the anxious lead up to being put under, instead I heard laughter from what appeared to be great team camaraderie as I fell asleep.


I woke up about an hour later in recovery to yet another cheerful nurse who offered me a virgin cranberry and vodka. Unlike the anesthesia which left me extremely loopy after wisdom teeth (I was 16), I awake feeling fully alert and was able to dress myself without assistance. By the time my mom and sister walked into recovery, I was sitting in a chair with my second "cocktail" and ready to go. 

While the femoral block lasted all of yesterday, requiring me only to take a couple of Alleve. I decided to take my Oxycodone before bed since the block would be wearing off by the next day. (I try and avoid taking any narcotic/opiate due to my family history of addiction unless necessary). 

While there is some pain today as my block has worn off, it is manageable and I am able to get around well with crutches and putting some weight on my repaired knee. It is odd knowing that yesterday I could run up and down hallways, climb stairs, and carry several bags of groceries up three flights. Or the fact that last week I played football, went line dancing, and ran a 5K, to having a leg today which feels and acts like jello. (Getting up the stairs was the biggest challenge yesterday, but I managed it pretty well).

Since I haven't had to rely on my Oxycodone today, I decided to reward my good patient behavior with a beer as I work on my quad squeezes and leg lifts. And I took a shower (although I was told not to for 3 days) by wrapping my bandages in a garbage bag. Of course getting into and out of the shower is not easy with no leg strength in my guiding knee. I am almost feel head first into the wall as my knee gave out with no brace on. However warm water and soap goes a long way in making you feel decent again.


On Monday, I will schedule my first physical therapy appointments as I begin my 6-8 month rehabilitation. In the meantime, I have been blessed and extremely grateful for the countless texts, phone calls, e-mails, and prayers from family, friends, and students alike. While it may be nice to have a man in my life for the heavy lifting, I would not trade the support I have in my life for any man right now. (If you are reading this, chances are, you are one of those people I owe my thanks to. You have no idea the extent of my gratitude for your friendships and endless support.) While I may not have a man, I am certainly not lacking in love. I feel stronger because of the strength in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment