Wednesday, May 7, 2014

ACL Surgery: Post-Op Day 5

Today was the first day that I ventured out of my apartment since surgery. After spending the last few days with my face pressed up against the window screen like my three cats, my mom came for a visit.

Albeit, the reasons for the visit were to bring my laundry and take me to a job interview. Either way, it was nice to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. The job interview went well and my interviewers seemed impressed by my mobility on my crutches. Of course, I insisted on doing everything myself to prevent any sign of weakness showing in my interview or to my mom. (This might also explain the swollen foot.)

While the interview went well, it will be a couple of weeks before I hear either way whether or not I got the job. It is a good school district and competition is high for jobs. Of course, the highlight of the interview had to be me responding to their question of why they should hire me with: "Because I am fun." Of course about forty minutes into the interview, I was desparate for pain medicine and a bathroom. (I spent thirty minutes waiting in the lobby before the interview had begun.)

My mom who feels like she never sees me, insisted on lunch afterward, and we headed to Aladdin's to debrief over the interview. However, after a few hours outside on crutches and the cramped restraint of my metallic brace, my surgical staples were bothering me and I longed for the couch. I was probably not the best of company having eaten most of my lunch in silence.

What has surprised me about my ordeal is that while my surgery was neither complicated or lengthy, I still feel pretty wiped out. Last week I was running a 5K and feeling good, today I was sweating trying to make it up 3 flights of stairs on crutches. I also find myself worn out by company. I have been grateful that most friends have kept their recent visits somewhat brief. Even being social has been draining.

The fatigue I am experiencing, also drives home the need for rehabilitation therapy after any kind of surgical repair. It is obvious that despite my athleticism and willful stubbornness, the recovery process will be long and challenging. Any surgery exacts some sort of physical and sometimes mental measure from the patient. It also gives me a deeper respect for those people who have come through more serious and physically debilatating procedures. I am not sure I am as strong or as brave as I want to believe I am. However, I will soon have a chance to learn what kind of stuff I am made of. 

For tomorrow, the real challenge begins...physical therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment