Tuesday, January 28, 2014

To Teach


I have chosen a profession, voluntarily, that is difficult. That is not to say, that my profession is the only difficult or stressful profession out there, it is just that my profession is one in which what I put into the job, will never equal what I get back.

When I was younger, I dreamed of being a doctor. As a teenager I used to watch ER, thinking that would be me someday, saving someone's life. Making a difference. Doing good in the world. 

Then life happen. The stresses of college, a parent's drug addiction, and burn out left me rethinking my life's plan. I switched directions and was given an opportunity to coach at my alma mater. In addition, I began working at a group home for young girls. Their lives, stories, and hardships touched my heart. Too many times, I heard the wistful heartbreak of children behind a wall of anger, wishing that they had someone, anyone, who cared enough. It was those experiences, and the loss of one child under my care to a drunk driver, that changed my course.

I decided I wanted to teach. And for the first time in my life, got straight A's in school. I found an outlet for my passion, and an opportunity to teach other people to appreciate science.

Since that decision eight years ago, I have been put through the ringer. As have many in my profession. Tonight, our President will discuss the state of the nation. Again, he will call for changes in educational policy. But sadly, our education system has evolved to a place, where passionate teachers like me are leaving.

I do not want to leave my profession. But I currently work 50+ hours a week, with a take home pay that is equivalent to $7.25/hr after taxes. I go to school everyday with holes in my clothes, barely enough food in my lunch box, and a few hours of sleep. The media and right wing politicians would have you believe that teachers are well rested from 2 months of vacation every year, six figure salaries, and a work day that barely hits 8 hours.

In reality, we are beleaguered, personally attacked, and tired. No one bothers to mention the impact of a teacher on the life of the child, until we become human shields for our students against gunfire in our classroom.

This year, I have been dealing with a disturbed, unhappy woman who has made it her goal to see me lose my job, because I would hold her daughter accountable. A woman, who believes I am Satan personified, because I wouldn't give her daughter anything but the grade she deserves.

This woman does not live my life. Does not know the sacrifices in my own personal life, so that I can give her child and every child who walks into my classroom the education the need to be successful. Whether they become scientists or not. To her I have no worth, and to her, I do not even deserve the meager paycheck I receive.

What she and many others who look down on teaching is that my business is a human life. My product will take years to develop, and the impacts I have own my "clients" are things I will never see personally. I am the person who will teach the doctor who may one day save your life. I am the person, who may give a child enough hope to say no to a life of crime. I am the person, who may have given you the belief you needed in yourself, to pursue your dreams.

Yet, I get so little thanks for what I do. Many of my own friends and family, who are not in my profession, do not understand how incredibly rewarding, yet how frustrating my job can be. How much I feel like a success and a failure all in one. How I battle daily to stick with my decision to teach, when I have pennies to my name.

Last week, I sat in a meeting with other teachers with the parents of a child, who I fought to get tested for a learning disability. With a 29-page report in hand, we have the correct diagnosis for this student, and more importantly, she has the documentation she needs to help her be successful as she moves forward. I think about this child daily. I think about what this will do for her, and how this will effect her. She has a fighting chance, and a lot of people who care for her.

Her father, with tears in his eyes, hugged me and every teacher on the way out of the meeting. And with sincerity in his voice said, "Thank you for what you do". It is those moments, that I live for. The reason why I decided to teach. Why I keep going, even when I went home that night to an empty freezer.

You see, all that I want in my life, is to do what I love. But more importantly, to do it and be able to live my own life. To have money in the bank, and to have a sense of financial security. I want a livable wage. I want to know that I can support myself, and the people I love, doing the job that I love. What has become apparent, is that teaching is a field where only a few privileged individuals can say that with certainty.

We live in a world of materialism, where we will gladly give professional athletes millions of dollars, but will throw our heads back and howl at the idea of giving men and women who provide us with a service, a better quality of life. The teachers, nurses, police, and firemen who everyday make sacrifices, and do it with glad hearts.

And yes, I know that not every teacher decided to be a teacher because they love to teach. Some are in it for the wrong reasons. And sadly, remain in the profession for the wrong reasons. I have taught along side those people. It frustrates me too.

But we need to do more for our teachers, who are in it for the right reasons. We need to keep those people in the profession, and help ensure them the job and financial security they need, and deserve. There is a huge correlation between what we are doing to our educators, and how our children are performing in schools. The best countries in the world for education, are the countries which treat their teachers as professionals and given them the salary and security which reflects that.

We need to stop punishing teachers for not being able to reach every child. I often have a year, sometimes less, to effect a child who has 15 or 16 years of life with a parent who could care less about them. Instead, we need reward teachers for simply changing one life for the better. One life, one person, who may be the difference to the world.

As stated in the Talmud, "Whoever destroys a soul, it is considered as if he destroyed an entire world. And whoever saves a life, it is considered as if he saved the world entire". We need to remember that, and give our teachers what they need to survive, so that they, and I, can just teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment