Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Believe in CLE

One of the reasons why I felt the pull to come back to Cleveland after living four years away, was because I missed the vibe and grittiness of my hometown. Cleveland has always been that over looked girl at the party. We are not flashy or loud like New York City, Los Angeles, or Las Vegas. We aren't sincere and beautiful like Honolulu or Vancouver. We are also not eclectic or artsy like Seattle or Austin. We aren't the popular girl like Chicago or San Francisco.


But like most over looked girls, if you take the time to get to know Cleveland, you will find that she is all of those things and more. She is that girl that will keep you on your toes, and keep surprising you the more you get to know her. More importantly, she is a fighter and shrugs off labels, even the ones that the bullies have given her. She might have her dark side, but she wills you to look past that, and into her heart.


Cleveland is a city all of her own. She is unique and beautiful in her originality. Yes, she struggles to still find an identity that is different from her Rust Belt sisters of Detriot and Pittsburgh, but what other city bears a nickname that reminds you of Oz?


Once you get to know her, you will find yourself falling in love. I was proud of my hometown, but I never truly loved my city until I came back as an adult. The ready smiles, small town feel, and passion that runs throughout Clevelanders was missed when I lived away.

I am still falling in love with her today.


After all, what other city allows you to do free yoga in front of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with gorgeous views of Lake Erie at sunset with a friend and 2000 others? She is the proud host of this year's Gay Games and the home of some of the most die hard sports fans. Even the popular kids are starting to see her as the new "it" girl, as Cleveland was just named the site of the Republican National Convention.

(Even LeBron, can't get her out of his head.)


It is home, and like me, she hasn't given up on herself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment