Friday, June 20, 2014

Rise Above It

'Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune;
but great minds rise above them."
-Washington Irving

After reflecting on the negativity of my latest post, I have been trying this last week to embrace the motto "rise above it". Call it a mantra, I have been trying to remind myself that what I am facing now and what I have been struggling to overcome, is just another trial in the journey called life. And with most people, as I overcome this trial, I know that other (and harder) trials will always be ahead.

I have been working on writing science curriculum this week in a workshop, and it felt good working on something that I am good at. And while I may never know whether or not schools and teachers will actually use the curriculum I am writing, it makes me feel good to know that in some way I am helping to create positive change. That maybe someone will use my ideas to improve their teaching methods. 


On the other hand, I have also remained realistic. I am still applying, and still looking for jobs. I keep hoping that if I "rise above it", something will eventually fall into place. The universe has also reaffirmed that I work hard. While I did not get the job at my last interview due to my license, it impressed the principal enough to pass my name on to another school who called for an interview.

I have also been trying to "rise above" what has been my homeless situation, as my apartment and the 90 year old ceilings are finally being repaired after collapsing. And thankfully, no one was hurt when it came crashing down. It could have very likely been an entirely different situation, had I not remained so insistent. 

What mantras do you recite or adhere to? What sayings or thoughts get you through your rough patches? Are you also trying to "rise above it"?

No comments:

Post a Comment